I know not everyone agrees with me, but spinach is one of the best foods in the world. So good that I told my dad to grab a 5lb bag of spinach when he was at Costco. But we won’t go there.
Sauteeing frozen or fresh spinach in olive oil with garlic, salt, and some chilies and turmeric is the way to go. And it only takes a few minutes to prepare, making it the perfect healthy snack. While we’re at it, here are some interesting facts about spinach in an effort to convert more of my readers to spinach-lovers:
- China is the world’s largest spinach producer with 85% of global production (Did not see that one coming)
- Spinach is a flowering plant and a relative of the quinoa and the beets (Yum)
- Thanks to Popeye, the popularity and consumption of spinach increased by 30% during the 1930’s in the USA
- Green pigments extracted from spinach were used in painting during the medieval times
- Cooking spinach actually increases its health benefits! Just half a cup of cooked spinach will give you thrice as much nutrition as one cup of raw spinach
I’m starting to like this whole food & facts thing.